Ryan Library Databases are subscriptions provided to the PLNU community for online access to journal and magazine articles and/or citations.
You will be asked to log in with your PLNU network information to access any of these databases.
Some recommended databases for Music students include:
- Music Periodicals Database (formerly International Index to Music Periodicals Full Text (IIMP)) : Covers the full spectrum of subjects and all aspects of music, including music education, performance, ethnomusicology, musical theatre, theory, popular music forms and composition.
- Performing Arts Periodicals Database (formerly International Index to Performing Arts Full Text (IIPA)): This database provides indexing and abstracts for more than 260 international periodicals, plus full text for more than 100 of the indexed journals.
- JSTOR: This multi-disciplinary database offers full-text access to more than a thousand academic journals and over 1 million images, letters, and other primary sources, including 75 music-related journals. To limit your search to music journals only, choose Advanced Search, then scroll down and choose Music.
- IPA Source: The International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) contains transcriptions and literal translations of opera arias, art song texts and MP3 recordings.
- Oxford Music Online (including Grove's) (Grove's allows 3 simultaneous users): This database is comprised of the complete full-text content of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, The New Grove Dictionary of Opera, and The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz.
- Naxos Music Library (allows 10 simultaneous users): This database is an online listening library of classical music available online offering over 500,000 tracks of Classical music, Jazz, World, Folk, and Chinese music. Search for works by composer, artist, period, year of composition, instrument or genre.
- Academic Search Premier: This multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,500 journals, including full text for more than 3,700 peer-reviewed titles.
- Humanities Full Text: This database provides coverage of feature articles, interviews, bibliographies, and book reviews, as well as reviews of ballets, dance programs, motion pictures, musicals, radio and television programs, plays, operas, and more.